Fire permits are required for all fires on Public Conservation Land other than for an approved campground fire or a fire lit for cooking or warmth. Contact your nearest DOC Office to apply for a fire permit. 

Fires that do not require a fire permit in a Restricted Fire Season are: 

  • Fires that are lit inside a drum with a lid
  • Fires that have a flue
  • Fires that can be spark arrested
  • Gas cooker or gas barbeque
  • Contained barbeque
  • Stubble or crop residue burns as long as they conform to the required conditions of the Agricultural Crop Residue Burning Code of Practice.

Under the Canterbury Air Regional Plan, if your property is less than 2 hectares, you can't burn outdoors (unless you're cooking). If your property is 2+ hectares, you can burn outdoors if conditions are met.

Call Environment Canterbury on 0800 324 636 or visit their website (external link)

Hurunui Fire and Emergency
0800 658 628