Fire permits are required for all fires on Public Conservation Land other than for an approved campground fire or a fire lit for cooking or warmth. Apply for a Fire Permit (external link)

Fires that do not require a fire permit in a Restricted Fire Season are:

  • Gas cooker or gas barbeque
  • Contained barbeque
  • For stubble burns please contact the local office fo Fire and Emergency New Zealand to get advise on the required conditions

Note: Under the Canterbury Air Regional Plan, if your property is less than 2 hectares, you can't burn outdoors (unless you're cooking). If your property is 2+ hectares, you can burn outdoors if conditions are met.

Call Environment Canterbury on 0800 324 636 or visit their website (external link)

Christchurch Fire and Emergency
91 Chester Street East
Christchurch 8011
0800 658 628